Microsoft Corporation Escalation Engineer in Issaquah, Washington
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us to achieve our mission.
With over 15,000 employees worldwide, the Microsoft Customer Experience and Success (CEnS) organization is responsible for the strategy, design, and implementation of the Microsoft end-to-end customer experience. This newly expanded organization reflects the Microsoft ambition to be known as a customer experience company, ensuring our Microsoft mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more is enabled by delighting customers and consistently exceeding their expectations in every interaction through a connected customer experience.
Microsoft has a tremendous opportunity to exceed customer expectations and drive greater customer loyalty and trust, which leads to greater satisfaction, retention, and growth. The CEnS organization is looking for people with a passion for delivering customer success to help us build a future where customers come to us, not only because we provide industry-leading products and services, and also because we provide a differentiated and connected customer experience that is rooted in our commitment to delivering on customer outcomes.
Escalation Engineers (EE) investigate and solve critical, complex, and highly technical issues using mostly code-level techniques - like trace and source code analysis, debugging tools, reverse engineering techniques and other sophisticated diagnostic tools. EEs are responsible for driving Product Engineering engagement. They handle highly complex politically charged and financially important cases through collaboration and conflict resolution skills and act as key collaboration point for support teams.
In this role you will become world best in your area of expertise. Besides technical talent, we are looking for people who thrive under challenging circumstances and engage in difficult situations while they learn.
• Handle highly complex, political, financial, executive level cases - as business demands
• Key collaboration point for advanced troubleshooting to unblock issues - including the use of code-level techniques
• Manage engagement with Product Engineering for Support-raised escalations
• Work alongside Serviceability and engineering teams as trusted advisor to improve incident resolution or service deficiency
• Drive process, tool, service delivery and solution improvements that enable effective troubleshooting and remediation (incl. Diagnostics)
• Provide ramp activities for junior engineers, knowledge sharing, technical coaching and mentoring
• Drive technical collaboration and engagement outside of CSS (Product Engineering teams, Services, Support, Regions)
• Lead or participate in building communities with peer delivery roles; may be workload or specialty specific
Embedded Escalation Engineers (EEE) investigate and solve critical, complex, and highly technical issues using mostly code-level techniques - like trace and source code analysis, debugging tools, reverse engineering techniques and other sophisticated diagnostic tools. EEs are responsible for driving Product Engineering engagement. They handle highly complex politically charged and financially important cases through collaboration and conflict resolution skills and act as key collaboration point for support teams.
In this role you will become SME in your area of expertise. Besides technical talent, we are looking for people who thrive under challenging circumstances and engage in difficult situations while they learn.
• At least 5 years of technical escalation support experience (in a Tier 2/3 environment) including experience in a customer-facing or support role
• Experience with C# OR .NET, PowerShell, CLI, Microsoft Azure
• Cloud Computing, Microsoft Azure architecture and its components.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Azure PaaS offerings
• Azure Platform development and deployment concepts
• Superior problem solving and troubleshooting skills, an ability to use various data collection tools and methodologies to analyze problems and identify solutions
• Identity Concepts: ADFS, SAML, WS-Federation, OAUTH, OWIN, ADAL
• Networking Concepts: VIPs, NAT, DNS , VPN, Virtual Networks, OSI model
• Web protocols/methods: TCP/IP, HTTP/s, JSON.
• OS/Virtualization: OS Internals, Hyper-V, SSH, LDAP, SMB/NFS
• Experience working with OSS technologies is preferred. (LAMP, Node.js, Java)
• Passion for technology and customer supportability
• Leadership - handle technically challenging and politically hot customer situations
• Strong communications skills - excellent spoken and written English communication skills and the ability to present complex technical issues clearly and concisely to a general audience
• Ability to work collaboratively with the Engineering teams to drive architectural changes to improve stability of environments
• Ability to prioritize core role responsibilities vs. other work requests received
• Logical and critical thinking, Ability to deal with ambiguity under continual deadline constraints
• BS in computer science or engineering or equivalent industry experience
• Service Engineering and/or DevOps experience at internet scale involving user data and/or software development for an enterprise level service
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and / or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire / transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form (https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/accommodationrequest) .
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.