Argonne National Laboratory Driver/Rigger in Lemont, Illinois
Requisition Number: 410018 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Facilities/Security/Waste Management Division: FAC-Facilities Division
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): 059180 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Argonne’s Facilities Division (FAC) is seeking an experienced Rigger who will be responsible for controlled movement of heavy equipment through narrow openings or confined spaces. Installation of unique lab equipment, requiring specialized skills in hoisting, rigging and transportation within the laboratory. Ability to operate all mechanical lifting devices intended for the purpose of hoisting and rigging with a strong emphasis on the safe movement of specialty or critical items as determined by size or value.
Maintaining all necessary work and training documentation including but not limited to, safety equipment, inspection sheets and reference data as required by ANSI, OSHA, and the division office. Tilt, dip, and turn suspended loads to maneuver over, under, and/or around obstacles, using multi-point suspension techniques. Align, level, and anchor machinery. Fabricate, set up, and repair rigging, supporting structures, hoists, and pulling gear, using hand and power tools.
Typical work assignments include overhead crane operation, rigging of oversized or heavy loads, small package delivery, delivery of large equipment requiring the use of pallet jacks, offloading large deliveries with fork lifts, office moves, furniture moves, and other duties as assigned.
Experience operating motor vehicles including, but not limited to, combination tractor trailers, box trucks, stake trucks, and personnel transports including cars, full sized passenger vans, and buses for the purpose of transporting freight, and/or personnel in conformance with all applicable Argonne National Laboratory, State of Illinois, and Federal Department of Transportation rules and regulations.
Must possess a current Class A CDL with the ability to obtain HAZMAT & Passenger endorsements within the first 150 days.
The successful candidate should possess the following:
- Proficient knowledge of safe working loads and operational abilities of all standard rigging including chains, chokers, slings, equalizer and spreader beams, and any other associated rigging hardware.
- Obtaining and maintaining required ANSI, OSHA, and the FMS division training certifications for the safe operation of all Rigging & Hoisting equipment including but not limited to the following, Lift Trucks, Overhead Cranes, Powered Industrial Tools, and all other designated equipment required to perform duties.
- Ability to operate combination vehicles - GCWR of 26,001 or greater.
- Must be capable of working at heights, and in inclement weather.
- Strong mechanical background and an ability to develop a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Argonne National Laboratory policies and regulations including those associated with requirements for working in hazardous conditions including, but not limited to, electrical, chemical, and radiological.
- Candidates will also be expected to maintain proper management of required personal protective equipment including safety glass, face shields, hard hats, safety shoes, fall protection body harness and lanyards.
- Experience with Over Weight and Oversized Loads preferred.
- Customer service centered attitude.
- Must possess a High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent three years work-related experience in both Driving & Rigging including the completion of a formal Rigging training program.
- Must have experience with completing DOT required vehicle inspections and other necessary safety-related documentation.
- Capable of passing physical examination under state, federal, and Argonne National Laboratory guidelines to maintain a Class "A" CDL and related endorsements.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
While this job description documents the general nature of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.