Northwell Health Laboratory Aide in Staten Island, New York
Req Number 26176
Registers patient; and accepts, verifies, logs, examines, sorts, aliquots, prepares and distribute/stores specimens in accordance with established protocols and procedures. Enters or reports lab results per procedures. Maintains operating supply levels and work areas. Performs phlebotomy, as needed.
- Registers patients following proper coding procedures.
- Receives orders in the Laboratory Information System.
- Verifies collection lists.
- Logs test orders.
- Uses centrifuge to spin down appropriate tubes.
- Examines specimens for unacceptability and takes appropriate actions. Documents necessary information.
- Separates and aliquots blood and urine specimens, as needed Places tubes not requiring aliquoting into appropriate racks.
- Processes specimens to prepare for testing and resulting.
- Measures 24-hour urine tests, records volumes and aliquots for ordered tests.
- Generates labels via Laboratory Information Systems.
- Delivers specimens to appropriate areas.
- Draws blood from patients.
- Maintains proper levels of supplies.
- Enters reference lab results.
- Notifies physician (or appropriate personnel) of critical values and documents notification.
- Maintains cleanliness of work area and follows established safety and infection control procedures. \
- May transport specimens, reports or supplies between various offsite locations.
Performs related duties as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
Frequent sitting, bending, standing, walking, carrying of small objects. Occasional pushing, stooping, stretching, pulling, lifting (objects 5 to 10 lbs)
High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
Minimum of one (1) year related experience including Phlebotomy skills and Laboratory procedures.